Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Author Ross S. Simon

Hi all!

Please help me welcome Author Ross S. Simon to my blog today!



Author Bio and Interview:

ROSS S. SIMON was born Sam Ridings in La Crosse, Wisconsin in 1979; and spent the bulk of his childhood in Winona, Minnesota, before moving at age nine to Santa Cruz, California, where he still lives today.  He graduated from Soquel High School in 1997, and from Cabrillo College in 2006, the latter with an Associated Arts degree in Basic Liberal Arts.  In addition to Arthur O' The Bower, Mr. Simon is the author of two previous horror works, The Snow, published by Eternal Press in 2012; and Red Dahlia, published by Damnation Books in 2013.  His hobbies include pinball and board gaming, collecting pop memorabilia, and reading very interesting novels of various genres.

Tell me a bit about yourself:
I’m kind of a shy, stay-at-home type, mostly, with tentative formal education, but I have the love of an extended family, and am more optimistic than most.


What genre to you personally read?
Most any genre; science-fiction, horror, classics, mystery maybe, but then, those are only the genres that I like.  Romance isn’t on my list.


What sparked your passion for books and the art of a good story?
No one’s passion for books is ever really sparked; I just learned to read at a very early age.  At a later age than that, I figured I could write novels just as well as, perhaps even better than, anyone I’d seen in the business.


Is there a message in your book that you want readers to grasp?
Not so much in “Arthur O’ The Bower” is there any real message, but I might like to say that the point I basically aimed to make in both of my previous horror novels, “The Snow” and “Red Dahlia,” is that true evil does whatever it pleases, against whomever—AND whatever—it pleases, whenever it pleases.  “Arthur” sort of carries on that purpose, but like I say, not so much.


What has been your best moment as a writer?
Getting published for the first time; what the heck else?


Do you see yourself in any of your characters?
I admit that the protagonist of my breakout horror work, “The Snow,” Donald Holly, bears a good bit of autobiographical composition.  He’s a lonesome Everyman who’s basically afraid as hell to commit to real friends, which makes his possession by Loki all the scarier.


What does your workspace look like?
Messy, as is to be expected.  There’s a bunch of scattered papers to the left-hand of my laptop, which I suppose I should get in order sometime.  Also there’s a bit of dust on the desk I use.


What do you do when you’re not writing?
Basically, I read, listen to music, play games, or watch DVDs, and that’s when I’m at home.


Did you have a moment when you realized you were meant to be a writer?
Not one specific moment, but it slowly came to me over an extended time period back in my adolescence that I might enjoy writing as a hobby, maybe even as a career.

After this book, what is next?

I’m planning to follow up with a rather grim work called “The Basilisk’s Mirror,” about a super-smart suicide machine.





THE SNOW:
After hints throughout history of an apparent monstrous spirit possessing ordinary men, one such man is clearly possessed by what he later realizes is the Nordic mischief god Loki, “befriending” him against his will to create death and destruction in small-town northern Minnesota in the dead of winter.




RED DAHLIA:
A British RN officer retires from the First World War to Raj India, meets and marries a beautiful Hindu priestess, and they have a darling baby daughter...who, horrifyingly, is found according to the true prophecy of a holy man to be the incarnation of Kali-Ma, the Blood Goddess, and aims to immolate the earth in an immense orgy of blood and fire.

Cover coming soon...

ARTHUR O' THE BOWER:
A wing of the British Secret Service dealing with paranormal occurrences solicits the aid of a reluctant Scottish laborer who, ironically, has the supernatural means to fight an arcane wind demon, sung centuries before in a grim children's rime, who is terrorizing Scotland and seeks to bring first to their graves the ones who are chosen by faith to destroy him.




OK, here are the two short stories I've self-published on Amazon Kindle Unlimited:
VEIN TRANSPLANT, about a radical new leprosy strain that destroys all bodily matter except the circulatory system, and the unfortunate love triangle that it gets caught up in with its scientist discoverer...and a jealous inferior worker.




BY A BLOODY HEAD, about three freeloading English ironworkers who bet one year in the Kentucky Derby, a bit too successfully, on a team of four jockeys who turn out to be something more than they seem...in particular according to the Book of Revelations.



SPECIAL NOTE: Hurry!  Get these while you still can...they'll only be available for about another month.

Contact Links:


http://rossssimon.com.istemp.com

Please thank Ross for joining us today and check out his books and links! Keep an eye out for his third book by Caliburn Press!!

Keep Writing!
Jodie Pierce


No comments:

Post a Comment